Friday, February 25, 2011

Social Imbalance/Political Ramifications on my Mind

Black History Month. Yes, it does exist. Am I the only person who realizes how blatantly racist that very idea is? I'm all for generic and stagnant equality standards across the spectrum of ethnicities, but that right there is what I call overkill. Yes, we have all acknowledged the fact that your great great great great grandfather was a slave. Let's get over ourselves and move on, shall we? I'm no hater, but Black History Month is ridiculous. If somebody tried to start a White History Month, people would be shot down in the streets and there would be mass outcry at how racist and insensitive we are. It is a sad world we live in where the definition of "racial equality" becomes the equivalent of reverse discrimination. This may be extreme for me to say, but it's almost as if people think the only fair way to treat African American people fairly is by advancing them metaphorically into the position of the "higher race," with days and holidays and entire months dedicated to them and their history. The slavery thing was hundreds of years ago. It's OVER. You might even point out that white people haven't been lords over all they see their entire existence either. There have been more whites hurt by slavery and oppression throughout history than African Americans ever have. The Christian faith, for one of many examples, has been criticized and attacked all throughout time. Persecution of the Christians oppressed far more than any number of African American slaves. And yet, shockingly enough, I have yet to see a "Christian Month" anywhere. There isn't even a "Jewish Rememberence Day" and they seem to be fine with it. I have recently encountered arguments against my statements claiming that the African American people deserve recognition because there are numerous days throughout the year dedicated solely to white people like George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, John F. Kennedy, etc. My response to this was firstly that there exists Martin Luther King day, which is very widely recognized. I then pointed out the fact that these are not holidays for "white people." These are holidays celebrating the works of great men throughout history, regardless of their skin color. Judging from that very approach, it can be assumed the existence of Black History Month is almost a social engagement in response to lack of recognition out of spite (this is not my opinion, only my impression of the opinion proposed to me, in essense). My main point is this: reverse discrimination is NOT the same thing as equality, despite the modern world's imposition of such a view upon society as a whole.

Next topic on my mind. American international political justification. I can understand and truly relate to the government's inherent desire to want to "fix" the world and make everyone's problems go away (at copious expense of the American people, no less). The U.S. government is locked indefinitely in a worldwide struggle to take care of arbitrary nations and police their actions and motives. This has resulted in near global distaste targeted at America and its people. We cannot continue to assume we know what's best for the world and impose ourselves and our methods on other countries around the world. Doing so has not only resulted in the utter lack of international appeal but also in the highest international debt levels of all time. I can't remember where I saw it but I saw a statistic not long ago that claimed if we were to gather all of the sales tax from the American people together for one year, that would pay off roughly the interest on our deficit. With outright disregard for the wishes and needs of the American public, our government has continued and will forseeably continue to invest larger and larger sums of money that we don't have into situations and circumstances that don't involve or concern us as far as national stability. I am supportive of the notion, in the ideological sense, of helping people out wherever they appear to need it and saving the world. Everybody seems to think that just because we COULD go into (enter arbitrary third world country that is either at war with itself or collapsing economically), we SHOULD. This results in the existing downward spiral of economic deterioration that is the American nation. In my own opinion.


J R Williams

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Jon I was using the isolated "incident" per se of Black History Month as a launch point for my main point, which is my opinion of the unfairness of ethnic profiling in modern America. There isn't any equality between African Americans and whites. To a less extreme extent the two have now simply changed places. There are numerous tv shows and magazines specifically designed for the black community such as, for one example, "African American Golfers." I believe that's what it is called. Little things like that would only be considered racist if the white ethnicity were to do it. Hence my statement saying that modern day "racial equality" is nothing more than reverse discrimination. It was merely an observation I've made at the racism behind Black History Month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. [Regarding the first section of your post][expanded version of first comment, nothing deleted]:

    Is that really what you want to use your energy railing against; a cultural group celebrating their often-overlooked heritage? I'm not so wildly in favor of it, but I don't see any reason to direct so much negative energy against it, either. Aren't there bigger injustices to tackle? I guess it just doesn't really bother me that much, and I will not purport to understand the plight of an oppressed people until mine has suffered similarly. Just not that big of a deal, I guess.

    I know what you're going to say - you're going to tell me that it is no longer an oppressed people group - and you'd be correct. But there is no harm in recognizing/remembering/acknowledging historical atrocities; most would argue that this helps to keep them from being repeated. During Black History Month in school and in college, I was exposed to materials/stories/information that would have otherwise been left out of the curriculum. This gave me insight into a dark period of our nation's past, and caused me to reflect on how systemic injustices can be avoided in the future. I can't say with intellectual integrity that such exposure was a bad thing - in fact, it seems very important to study slavery, westward expansion/taking of Native American lands, genocide against Jews, etc. so as to become familiar with the darkness that can lurk just beneath the surface of power.

    I understand your point fully - and it's not a bad one, or a poorly thought one. I just can't agree that the idea of black history month is intrinsically "racist."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would answer back but we've moved over to having this conversation on facebook so I'll refrain. Haha.

    ReplyDelete